How Artificial Intelligence is Helping with Remote Education
The world is probably witnessing the worst pandemic in human history. In March, the imposition of global lockdown, had compelled educational institutes to go digital and leverage the power of artificial intelligence. Since then, the role of AI in education has become a trend to watch out for.
While some fear that artificial intelligence will take over education to the detriment of students and teachers, others believe that it will only revolutionize the way education is imparted.
Certain tasks can be made a lot simpler using artificial intelligence. In this blog, we shall learn how artificial intelligence is helping with remote education and helping the human race take a step forward.
- Providing Universal Access to All Students – The most crucial role of AI in education is that it helps make classrooms available to all, including those who speak different languages or have visual or hearing impairments.
The best part is that it also opens up possibilities for students who cannot attend school due to illness or require learning at a special level. AI can effectively break down silos between schools and traditional grade levels.
- Students are Receiving More Personalized Education – When a child fails to understand the scope of the lesson, it can be very difficult for them to catch up. Often, the classroom is oversized, and children are lost in the shuffle. Parents, too, may have difficulty teaching the new standards expected of children, as per the current curriculum.
Artificial intelligence is continually helping fill the gap with crowd-sourced tutoring from professionals. Students can avoid shame and embarrassment due to poor grades, as they can ask for assistance even when their peers are attending the class on these digitized platforms.
- Helping Student Learn at Their Own Pace – For years, there was no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach in education. Until recently, it was almost impossible to incorporate every possible learning style into each lesson while setting the perfect pace for the students. With the number of students increasing day by day, setting the perfect pace while teaching both fast and slow learners is the need of the hour.
Artificial intelligence helps set the perfect pace for every student by offering individualized programs. This gives the students the opportunity to explore academics at their own speed. This way, it’s neither overwhelming nor frustrating for them to learn.
- Representing Learning Material in a Simplified Manner – Students with a slower learning pace or learning difficulties often don’t understand complex texts and have difficulty reading and learning them. They may even have difficulty following complex sentence structures.
Scientists and researchers are now developing artificial intelligence that can seamlessly make these harder texts easy to read. These AI-based devices create simpler sentences and replace them with complicated ones. Needless to mention that it’d be great for students with learning disabilities, as they’d be able to better relate to and engage with the course material.
- Helping Educators Identify Learning Disabilities – The first step in helping students with learning disabilities is identifying the students with such disorders. Not all existing testing methods are effective at diagnosing disabilities, such as dyslexia or dyscalculia. Modern-day artificial intelligence systems help teachers administer more effective testing that can uncover some of these often-hidden conditions.
- Students Using AI to Provide Valuable Feedback – One of the most prominent issues with teaching students having a learning disability is their inability to provide constant feedback. It often becomes difficult in a classroom setting to slow down the pace and help a handful of students.
With AI rapidly developing, students can receive valuable feedback related to their performance. The system won’t proceed to the next step unless the Student successfully passes a test on the current curriculum. This way, they can learn at their own pace.
While the role of AI in education may seem to be futuristic, it’s present in our lives and education systems, even today. With the help of artificial intelligence, it’ll be easier to make the life of both students and teachers comfortable. Artificial intelligence opens up the doors of opportunities for every student to receive a quality education and individualized learning.
So, this is the role of AI in remote education in 2020. With the advancement of AI YoY, it’s expected to broaden further. Let us know your thoughts in the comment section, and do let us know how it’s helping revolutionize the education system.